The Lux Void   +  Luxury

Wearing What Works
As you know by now, I work for a women's clothing boutique. Every day I walk into what would be the ultimate closet. ACNE, Vanessa Bruno, Isabel Marant, Zero + Maria Cornejo, you name it — we have it.

In my first weeks there I was somewhat overwhelmed by all the beautiful things. There is an unspoken standard for how one dresses when selling $400 dollar scarves. Me being me, I don't wear funky, crazy, or wildly unique clothing. Honestly, give me my black jeans and a white tee and I'm set. But as the work days passed, and as I saw all the other workers hip shoes, funky jewelry and big bags, pressure mounted and I could feel uncertainty and insecurity setting in. I know, I know, I shouldn't feel such a way, but I am a girl. Feelings like mine come with the territory.

And perhaps it is because I have recently felt this way, that Emmanuel Alt's words struck a chord with me. Jak + Jil found the following quote by Emmanuelle Alt in the recent Vogue Hommes International.

“FORGET TRENDY DESIGNER LABELS. JEANS, A SWEATER OR A T-SHIRT WORN UNDER A JACKET THAT SEEMS WELDED TO YOU. WHEN IT’S JUST RIGHT, WHEN YOU DON’T SEE THE EFFORT, IT’S IRRESISTIBLE.”

What can I say...I am irresistible in jeans and a tee. So I think I'm just going to stick with what works.

photo source