The Lux Void   +  Polaroids

What a Weekend

Ahh, what a weekend. Truth be told, this weekend was one of the best I’ve had in quite sometime. Primarily because TJ and I tried new things . . .

1. Saturday we walked from our apartment in Lower Queen Anne to Fremont. Now, a little background for you. TJ and I have lived in Seattle twice. The first time we lived here 8 months, couldn’t handle the cold, so we moved back to California. We lived in California for a year, hated it there, and moved back to Seattle, where we have been for a 1 ½ year. The second time around has been far better (perhaps because we finally bought an umbrella and a pair of gloves). Anyways, when we first moved here we lived in Fremont. If you know Seattle, we lived about two blocks from the Troll underneath the 99/Aurora bridge. On the first day here, I said I wanted to someday walk across the 99/Aurora bridge. It only took 3 years, and moving to Seattle twice, but on Saturday, TJ and I walked across the bridge.

It may sound totally insignificant, but it was just as awesome as I thought it would be. Just walking the bridge with TJ reminded me of how far we have come in the last 3 years.


2. That night TJ and I decided we would try a new bar. TJ and I are serious creatures of habit, and we love our routines. But some things have shifted at our “neighborhood bar” so we were up for something new. We walked downtown and went to a bar called McLeod Residence. It’s been open for a while now. I recommend you click the link and just look at the inside. It’s an apartment/house that has been turned into a gallery/bar.

TJ and I walked to McLeod from our place which was perfect. It was warm in Seattle, patios were open, restaurants stayed open later, and people were out walking around. There is something about the energy you get from being in a lively place, a place where people are excited and moving. Point being, the walk and the bar went well together. It was good.

3. Sunday morning we woke up and TJ said we should go get breakfast. Usually that means we end up eating Mexican food. But he was serious this time and he said we should try the crepe place in Capital Hill. I have wanted to eat at this place since we moved here the second time. So we walked to Capital Hill and ate here, 611 Supreme.

No doubt, not kidding, the crepes were so good; in fact, they were the best I’ve ever had. It was warm outside with a slight breeze. Inside it was quite, with only one other guy in the place. And the large, door sized windows were wide open. Did I mention, the place was perfect.

The point of all this, is for you to go try some new things. I forgot how scary and yet how good it can be. There is something about the unknown that makes us hesitate. We don’t know the bartender, the food could be really bad, and it is far more comfortable to go to the places we are used to. But for all the awkwardness and uncertainty, it is so worth it when you find a good crepe or some new scenery that leaves you inspired.